9.23.2012

I Miss The REAL Dunkin' Donuts...


I went to Dunkin' Donuts this morning because I wanted breakfast made for me today. Normally my weekend meals are made by yours truly, but I needed a break. From growing up in New York, DD is such a popular spot for your coffee and snack food fix, it's practically its own food group. Most northerners would agree with me. Those that don't are naive and are not credible sources. I would even go as far as arguing that not liking Dunkin' is un-American. Yea, I said it. The sooner you accept it, the better off you'll be.

See? You're a patriot when you go with Dunkin'.

Here's the unfortunate thing: it's not the same down south. Sure, it's the same chain. It's not like they call it Dippin' Donuts or Dunkin' Muffins, but the food and drinks just don't have the same appeal. It's pretty clear to me that it isn't only pizza, bagels and many other baked goods that taste different outside of New York. The most consistent argument is the water up there. You can't deny that there's a distinct difference, and it all has to do with the baked breads and pastries.

I'd club baby seals for a New York pizza right now.
What am I saying? I'd do that anyway...

What I was more surprised to find is the difference in the coffee. You may think I'm crazy because of a statement like that (then again, you may think I'm crazy for a ton of other reasons, but that's beside the point). Think about the coffee making process. It's rather simple, but one of the things that is said to make a good cup of coffee better is using filtered water. I'm wondering how big of a difference there is between the filtered water and tap water. Or, even more interesting, I'm wondering if the filtered water is still different between New York and down here. I'd have a real tough time believing that the coffee is any different from place to place, so that narrows it down to the water. Why? Because the coffee doesn't have the same taste. I honestly think the flavor is bolder and more distinct in New York, and I miss that. You don't believe me? Come down and try it for yourself.

Why can't you be more delicious down here, dammit?!

As for the food there, well the variance may be even more vast than the coffee. Is it the difference in taste? Sort of. I know the water has something to do with it, but down here, I believe it's the sheer sales volume. Now you must think I'm really crazy. Think about it. The more they sell, the faster they have to produce fresh food. The fresher it is, the easier it is to provide quality product. That's a simple concept in food service, yet it makes a huge impact in improving their bottom line and maintaining a consistent flow of customers. I can't fault the region for Dunkin' not being as popular down here, considering there are several other options for silencing a rumbling stomach that aren't available up north. It just sucks to know that something so familiar can be made so unfamiliar.

Imagine this, except half as full and twice as old.

I guess that's the trade-off for having better barbecue and seafood down here. If only my breakfast didn't have to suffer.

D.

No comments:

Post a Comment