9.11.2012

A Day of Remembrance...

I would almost feel guilty for making jokes on a day like today. They wouldn't even have to be jokes that make light of what happened eleven years ago today for me to feel like it's inappropriate. So I'll keep my humorist side at bay for the time being. If there's one day a year that I refrain from making satirical commentary, I'd say today is it. I know there are tons of articles, news stories and blogs that are flooding the media with their accounts of that day. It just wouldn't feel right to direct my attention to something else. Everyone reading this knows where they were, who they were with and what they were doing when they were first made aware of what happened on September 11th, 2001. I remember it like it happened this morning.



Today was an exact replica of the morning conditions eleven years ago: mild temperature, perfect jeans and t-shirt weather, the sun was shining, blue skies speckled with fading traces of clouds, and the thought that it was just another Tuesday we all hoped to get through as soon as possible. It was only made different by me being at work today, rather than being at school dreading each class I'd inevitably have to sit through. Allow me to paint the picture of my account for you to imagine. It hadn't even been a full week since the school year began. As I described, the weather was perfect, and it made my first period gym class that much better. I can't recall if we played soccer or kickball that day, but that detail is not important whatsoever. We had our morning exercise, changed back into our 'uniforms' (more like an exaggerated dress code), and made our way to our second period classes. For me, it was computer programming. Not the most exciting class on earth, but I understood it pretty well. We hadn't sat down for more than a few minutes when we were interrupted with the news that something terrible had just taken place.

I know I'll never forget who announced it to us: a great friend named Eddie. Let me tell you a little about Eddie. This was a guy who all people should model themselves after. I never knew anybody that worked harder, befriended any and everyone, could take matters seriously and still manage to be the class clown better than him. He didn't pick on the vulnerable, he greeted them with a smile and asked them how they were doing. Eddie had his priorities in line, which was more than you can say for any other high school kid. His school work may have only taken a back seat to his home life, but neither showed any sign of weakness in his work ethic. There were greater things going on in his life than the petty nonsense most of us whine about, yet he made the most of life outside of all the madness. Picturing him without a smile on his face just doesn't feel right. You'd better believe that he appreciated every little thing anybody ever did for him, and you knew he was sincere. It was all the more impressive knowing that his sense of humor was experienced by all. This guy could get you laughing on your worst day, and believe me, I had my fair share. For my readers who know Eddie, I'm certain you can all agree with me on this. For those who don't...well that's your loss.

Back to that day. So I'm settling in for the fifty minutes of typing and staring at a computer screen, when Eddie pops his head into the room and says, "Yo guys, a plane just crashed into one of the Twin Towers..." and then proceeds to run off to the next class to do the same. Now honestly, if you look at that statement out of the context of today's significance, it sounds inconceivable. The idea that a plane would actually hit any skyscraper was not in the realm of possibility. My immediate reaction was that of nervous laughter, not in the sense that it was funny by any means, but more of confusion. How do you react to a statement so absurd coming from someone who is known to joke around with everybody? My first thought was simply, "There's no way." Moments later, an announcement came over the loudspeaker, telling all students to meet in the school chapel. The school administration calmly announced what was happening in New York City and were willing to accommodate anyone who felt they needed to go home to be with their families.

As for the events that took place, there's no need to go into any more detail than you're already well aware of. I know we all look at life a little differently after that day. Each of us have our own personal moments and events that change our lives one way or another, but this one was felt by all. This one showed us what a true hero was: firefighters, police officers, emergency medical staff and any person that risked and/or gave their life for those in desperate need. There was no hesitation, only action. It showed that as a country and a society, we can persevere. It was a time that neither race, nor religion, nor political affiliation was of greater concern than the well-being and feelings of those around you. It's unfortunate that we can't accept and understand that every day, but it really shines through when you look back. I know I'm grateful that I'm here today, and I especially appreciate the efforts of our military overseas and here in the states for making sure that I can continue living my life. As for your view on the American military, whether you like it or not, they're keeping us safe so that you don't have to fight, and I think that's reason enough for me to be thankful.



In hindsight, I'm glad it was Eddie that was the first to alert me. Knowing it was someone that didn't need a historically significant event to alter his outlook on life makes it that much more memorable. I know that I was changed that day, and to say that anyone wasn't would be dishonest. I know I have two reasons to look back, though. One is to never forget where I come from and how it's made possible that I am free to live there. The other is to never forget a great friend and person in general, and to accept that I can always improve upon myself, because things in life could be much worse than they are.

So Ed, if you end up reading this, you're a greater inspiration to me than you may ever know, and I'm certain I'm not the only one who can say the same. I just feel like you deserve the recognition one way or the other. I hope to hear from you soon, sir.

Thank you for reading today, and God Bless America!



D.

No comments:

Post a Comment